Dr. Nathan Nataneli is a board certified and fellowship trained ophthalmologist who earned his medical degree from Albert Einstein College of Medicine. After completing his residency at BronxCare Health System, where he served as chief resident in his final year, Dr. Nataneli completed a cornea and refractive fellowship at Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island.
Dr. Nataneli treats a wide range of ophthalmological conditions, specializing in the medical and surgical treatment of corneal disease, cataract extraction, astigmatism and presbyopia management, and minimally invasive glaucoma surgery. He offers Laser Vision Correction and femtosecond laser cataract surgery.
He is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Over his last decade in academic ophthalmology, in addition to gaining valuable clinical and surgical experience, Dr. Nataneli presented at national meetings and published book chapters and articles in major ophthalmic journals, on topics such as Descemet’s Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty, outcomes of cataract surgeries in unique clinical scenarios, and infectious keratitis. He received the Teacher of the Year Award in three of those years.
Dr. Nataneli speaks Spanish and Russian.
Practice Scope: Cornea and Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Corneal Transplants: PKP, DALK, DSAEK, DMEK
- Ocular Surface: pterygium, reconstruction, neoplasia and infection care
- Cataract: routine and complex phacoemulsification
- MIGS Surgery: iStent and Kahook Dual Blade goniotomy
- Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology: Surgical Curriculum for Ophthalmology Residents
- 2022 American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2021 American Academy of Ophthalmology
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Attending of the Year Award for Excellence in Education
- 2015 Attending of the Year Award for Excellence in Education
- 2010-12 Distinguished Academic Achievement Award on OKAP exam
- 2003-07 Albert Einstein College Scholarship
- 2003 Phi Beta Kappa
- Safran JP, Nataneli N, Vazirani J, Eagle RC Jr, Milman T. Corneal edema associated with degenerating Soemmering ring cataract: Clinical-pathologic correlation. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2022 Nov 11;28:101738
- Hasan A, Quintero-Estades JA, Nataneli N. A Woman With Intraocular Inflammation After Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020 Sep 1;138(9):1000-1001.
- Haddad N, Rosenbaum P, Gurland J, Nataneli N. Chlamydia trachomatis presenting as preseptal cellulitis in a 3-year-old child. J AAPOS. 2019 Aug;23(4):245-246
- Nataneli N & Chai JSM. Images in clinical medicine: Bilateral corneal perforation. N Engl J Med. 2014 Feb 13;370(7):650.
- Nataneli N, Chai JSM, Donnenfeld ED, Perry HD. Recurrent Herpes Simplex Keratitis Adjacent to Femtosecond Laser Arcuate Keratotomies. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Oct 1;131(10):1372.
- Chai JSM, Nataneli N, Donnenfeld ED, Perry HP. Herpes simplex virus conjunctival ulceration. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Aug 1;131(8):1003.
- Nataneli N, Aguilera Z, Rosenbaum P, et al. Poststreptococcal Keratouveitis Associated with Group C Streptococcus Pharyngitis. Clin Ophthalmol. 2011;5:1257-9
Book Chapters & Reviews
- Ding K, Nataneli N. Cytomegalovirus Corneal Endotheliitis. 2022 Feb 11. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan. PMID: 35201702
- Stern EM, Nataneli N. Vogt Koyanagi Harada Syndrome. 2021 Oct 7. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan. PMID: 34662085.
- Lopez MJ, Nataneli N. Cannabis Use For Glaucoma And Associated Pain. 2021 Jun 21. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan. PMID: 34283478.
- Brown AC, Nataneli N. Salzmanns Nodular Corneal Degeneration. 2021 Jun 17. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan. PMID: 32809519.
- Brodbaker E., Nataneli N. (2014) Conjunctival Degenerations. In: Schmidt-Erfurth U., Kohnen T. (eds) Encyclopedia of Ophthalmology. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-64
- Nataneli N, Chai JSM, Donnenfeld E, Perry HD (2013) Medical Treatment. In: Dry Eye Syndrome: Basic and Clinical Perspectives. https://doi.org/10.2217/9781780842646
Research Study Group
- Corneal Ulcer Image Interpretation Study Group, Study Group Member
- Redd TK, Prajna NV, Srinivasan M, et al. Expert Performance in Visual Differentiation of Bacterial and Fungal Keratitis. Ophthalmology. 2021 Oct 5:S0161-6420(21)00738-7. PMID: 34624299.
Posters & Presentations
- Shumway C, Murdakhayev E, Nataneli N. DMEK practice patterns: Surgeon Preferences and Anatomic Limitations. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting in Washington, DC. April 2022.
- Stern E, Mayers M, Perry HD, Nataneli N Infectious Keratitis after Cataract Surgery: Uncommon Organisms. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting in Boston, MA. May 2020.
- Hasan A Sandler S, Nataneli N. Severe Limbal Stem Cell Deficiency and Cicatricial Conjunctivitis Secondary to Preserved Glaucoma Eyedrops. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting in Boston, MA. May 2020
- Lau S, Nataneli N, Rosenbaum PS. Postoperative follow-up adherence for first-time ophthalmic surgery in the South Bronx. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Vancouver, CA 2018
- Quintero, J. Nataneli, N, Wang, JG. A Three-Step Iridoplasty for Corectopia and Extreme Miosis. Women In Ophthalmology Meeting – Ponte Vedra, FL. August 2018
- Haddad N, Schell C, Nataneli N. Outcomes of phacoemulsification in intumescent cataracts. Presented at the Bronx-Lebanon Annual Research Symposium. Bronx, NY. June 2017
- Mehta A, Sandler S, Mayers M. Nataneli N. Post-cataract extraction ooutcomes in patients with HIV and Hepatitis C. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Honolulu, HI. April 2017
- Salar-Gomceli S; Nataneli N. Clinical characteristics and age at presentation of Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus at a high risk population since 2008. Sun and Science National Eye Research Conference for Ophthalmology Residents and Fellows in Galveston, TX April 22, 2017
- Haddad N, Rosenbaum PS, Moradi I, Nataneli N. Temporary Landers Keratoprosthesis for Combined Penetrating Keratoplasty, Pars Plana Vitrectomy and Lensectomy, and Ahmed Valve Placement. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting in Los Angeles, CA. May 2016
- Wang JG and Nataneli N. Evaluating corneal sensation in patients with HIV Infection. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Seattle, WA May 2016
- Berdia J, Mayers M, Nataneli N. Effect of Iris Expansion Device on Incidence of Postoperative Cystoid Macular Edema. Presented at the Bronx-Lebanon Annual Research Symposium. Bronx, NY. June 2016.
- Makhijani V, Nataneli N. Comparison of super pinhole – estimated preoperative visual potential with postoperative visual acuity results in cataract extraction. Presented at the Bronx-Lebanon Annual Research Symposium. Bronx, NY. June 2016.
- Nathaniel N, Chai SMJ, Nadji EJ, Donnenfeld ED, Perry HD. Femtosecond Laser–Guided Relaxing Incisions for Astigmatic Keratotomy for Correction of PKP Astigmatism. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting. San Francisco, CA. April 2013.
- Nadji N, Nissirios N, Donnenfeld ED, Perry HD, Nataneli N, Chai SMJ. Astigmatism Correction via Arcuate Relaxing Incisions Post Penetrating Keratoplasty Using a Femtosecond Laser System. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting. San Francisco, CA. April 2013.
- Chai SMJ, Nataneli N. Perry HD. Incomplete Capsulotomy in Femtosecond Laser–Assisted Cataract Surgery. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting. San Francisco, CA. April 2013.
- Shah S, Nataneli N, Solomon R, Perry HD, Donnenfeld ED. Toric IOLs for Reducing Post Penetrating Keratoplasty Astigmatism and Improving Visual Acuity in Patients Having Cataract Surgery. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Meeting. San Francisco, CA. April 2013.
- Nataneli N, Mayers, M. Effect of Suturing of Wounds on Refractive Outcomes in Cataract Surgery. Presented at the Bronx-Lebanon Annual Research Symposium. Bronx, NY. June 2012.
- Nataneli N, Banik R. Microvascular Cranial Nerve Palsies: Risk Factor Analysis. Presented at the North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society. San Antonio, TX. February 2012.
- Nataneli N, Rosenbaum P, Cardona J, et al. Corneal Endothelial and Anterior Lenticular Deposits Due to Clozapine. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Symposium, Boston, MA. April 2010.
- Channa P, Nataneli N, Madu A. Visual Function and Quality of Life in Glaucoma Patients in a South Bronx Clinic. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. April 2008.
- Nataneli N, Klein D, Madu A. Assessing Glaucoma Compliance, Comprehension, and Patient Learning Preferences at a South Bronx Eye Clinic. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. April 2008.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- BronxCare Health System